Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Silenced Dialogue


“We must keep the perspective that people are experts on their own lives.”           

In “The Silenced Dialogue: Power and Pedagogy in Educating Other People’s Children,” Lisa Delpit explores the idea that people of color operate under different cultural norms and expectations than those of whites.  She argues that because of these differences along with students’ unawareness of the embedded “culture of power,” (24) students of color are less likely than whites to succeed in the classroom.  Further, she argues that students of color are not able to pick up on communicative clues when commands and directions are stated indirectly by white teachers.  According to Delpit, students of color need clear and direct instructions in the classroom.  “If such explicitness is not provided to students, what it feels like to people who are old enough to judge is that there are secrets being kept, that time is being wasted, and that the teacher is abdicating his or her duty to teach”(31).  Delpit suggests that differences in cultural norms run so deep and are so embedded in both black and white culture that many students of color are not able to come to the playing field even ready to play.  Furthermore, in some ways, these students are not even sure what game they are playing or what the rules of the game are.  I find Delpit’s suggestions intriguing and the implications of what she argues are mind boggling.

After reading Delpit’s article and thinking about her perspective on educating students of color, I was drawn to the notion that for students to succeed in school, they need definite support and structure at home.  Delpit argues that students are already at a disadvantage when they do not come to school with the necessary “culture of power” norms and routines.  “This meant that the child who did not come to school already primed with what was presented would be labeled as needing “remedial” instruction from day one; indeed, this determination would be made before he or she was ever taught”(30).  Students of color are well behind the proverbial eight ball before they even start school.  This idea instantly reminded me of an excerpt from a Colin Powell speech in which he talks about the need for structure both at home and in the classroom. 

**As a side note, I use the Powell speech and an excerpt from Helen Keller’s The Story of My Life to discuss different teaching methods and ways for students to learn---which Delpit feels needs to be discussed and developed in every classroom for every student to succeed. 

Powell, like Delpit, feels as though students of color are placed at a disadvantage right off the bat, not because of intellectual capability, but because they haven’t been given the tools of structure they need to succeed at home.  After contemplating this idea, I agree wholeheartedly.  I think about my own children and the emphasis I placed on reading to them at home and how well this one habit has served them in school.  Imagine if my home was one in which my children were not read to frequently and at an early age?  I’m sure if that was the case, they would not have succeeded as well as they have in school.  I never even thought about this before…and that’s probably because I am part of the “culture of power” Deplit keeps coming back to.  However, I know that I am…and I know that some aren’t…and knowing is half the battle.  The other half is figuring out a way to work with that knowledge in my classroom and my life.    

           

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, I think that you explained Delpit's article better than I had first understood it. Though I am still not convinced that it is just the color of the skin that puts children at a disadvantage. I also see the same issues in students of un-educated parents, low-income students and non-english speaking parents. I understand the cultural differences, but I don't think these cultural differences just stem from skin color, but from a larger picture of what types of homes students are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, there is something to be said for intentions, and something to be said for perspective. As teachers, if our intentions are to be inclusive, and we truly listen to our students. We can work with empathy to understand them and find effective ways to motivate and influence them in very positive ways. While we cannot change the circumstances that may have placed us in an advantageous position of power, our perspective is constantly changing, and we can keep working to see the world through different eyes. Delpit describes teachers as "gatekeepers" and when we are at our best, we are not only opening the gates, but handing the keys to the students as they pass through so that they may open future gates themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, thanks for the link to Colin Powell's TED Talk. I had watched it before, but of course, I am coming away with something different this time. Though I am uncomfortable with even mentioning "military structure" and "classroom" in the same sentence, the line that stuck out to me from his talk was, "Once that structure is developed, once they understand the reason for something...they are mature...they come to respect him [the drill sergeant]." I agree with Powell that one of the most important things in creating and enforcing rules is being sure that those affected by the rules understand how they were developed (maybe even have a role in their development) and why the rule is important. How can you respect something or someone who imposes arbitrary expectations, especially when that someone is supposed to be your teacher, your guide, your advocate, and have your best interests in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog and the comments above, I started to think about socioeconomic status playing a huge role in a students academic behavior and how it translates from home to school. I totally agree with your statements, now I'm starting to wonder about students of color, who grow up in a predominately affluent community who were brought up on a different set of norms if its the authoritative nature they "speak to" . Or low-income "families of non-color" who do not have the same values or norms as a school setting if they favor more of a directive approach. I find it interesting that culture played a huge role in Delpit's writing, but hardly focused on SES as a prime factor. I am very in line with what Jenny is bringing to the table.

    ReplyDelete