Sunday, October 26, 2014

Conversation, Connection and Anti-Teaching

Sherry Turkle in the New York Times article "The Flight From Conversation" makes a paradoxical yet strikingly true statement. "We live in a technological universe in which we are always communicating.  And yet we have sacrificed conversation for mere connection."  I couldn't agree more.  We think we are connecting with others when we put up our latest Facebook post or Instagram photo; however, what we are actually doing is nothing more than connecting on a very shallow and superbly-crafted level.  This level of irony can best be explained in my own personal social media experiences.  For example, when I see one of my Facebook friends out out in public, I hesitate to even acknowledge them, let alone think about striking up a conversation with them.  That'd just be absurd!  But...I ask myself...when and how did I become so phony and inauthentic??  I mean...I have a life...and I have real experiences and real relationships, but none of those have anything to do with my Facebook, Instagram or Twitter posts.
     http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/237991
   
Turke alludes to Shakespeare in her attempt to describe how absolutely obsessed we are with social media and how fast-paced these interactions are.  "Shakespeare might have said, 'We are consum'd with that which we were nourish'd by.'"  In other words, we are completely consumed with being connected at all times.  We can't go ten minutes without insanely scrolling through all of our various news feeds. We ponder when the most opportune time is to post a picture to Instagram to ensure the highest possible number of likes.  We actually sometimes sleep with our phones in our hands lest we miss anything going on at 3 AM.  We are consumed with the lives of people we barely know and regurgitate our own Facebook worthy moments back to them.  We, according to Turkle, have lost the ability to reflect.  "These days, social media continually asks us what's 'on our mind,' but we have little motivation to say something truly self-reflective.  Self-reflection in conversation requires trust." It's as though we are scared to ever be alone.  The notions of solitude and introspection frighten us to the point where we can't sit alone at a restaurant or stand alone at a bus stop without taking out our phones within 30 seconds.  Thoreau would be completely horrified by us.  And rightfully so.
http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/thoreau/thoreau-walden6x9.pdf

     This brings me to the Wesch and his notions of questioning and insight as integral parts of learning.  He stresses the importance of student...not necessarily teacher...questioning.  "Oftentimes the answer to a good question is irrelevant-the question is an insight in itself."  I am often dumbfounded when a student asks me a really insightful question.  It shows me that they are invested enough in the actual learning process to be able to think and come up with a real question.  Sadly, those types of questions are few and far between.  Wesch believes that we as teachers needs to focus on "inspiring good questions" and we need "to start by getting students to ask better questions."  I agree.  I have a couple of strategies in my classroom to guide students in their questioning, but ultimately it is only through solitude and self-reflection that students might be able to truly ask those insightful questions.  And I'm pretty sure having over 1,000 Twitter followers is not going to help them do that.  

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, I like how you mentioned the irony of "connecting on a very shallow and superbly-crafted level" and the way that "We ponder when the most opportune time is to post a picture to Instagram to ensure the highest possible number of likes." I am curious about how purposeful kids are(n't) with their social media postings. Then, I think this would be an interesting place to start conversations about author's craft/audience/tone/etc. Seems like a perfect opportunity to hook students with what their area of expertise and take advantage of a teachable moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never though about the idea of purpose in social media postings! That is actually an intriguing idea...wonder what I could do with it in the classroom :)

      Delete
  2. Melissa, I don't think that I have ever slept with my phone in my hand, but I defiantly sleep with my phone charging on my bed side table. I think it is a little crazy how connected I am to my telephone and I am sometimes disgusted by it. I wish that I could put my phone down for a day, delete all social media, and I am very excited to participate in Brian's social media black out fundraiser. This last Sunday I tried taking a break from my phone. I left it in my bedroom and did not go searching it out until 3pm. It was a nice break. I spent the day conversing and being present. I think that moderation is an important discussion to have. Technology is in our future, we can not hide from it, but if we learn how and when to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    The quote you bring up got me thinking about how much I am connected "We live in a technological universe in which we are always communicating. And yet we have sacrificed conversation for mere connection." I have started to think about my true friendships on social media. I realized that I can go 2-3 months without seeing a friend and pick up on any conversation with them simply because I "see them" on social media. I feel that 2-3 months without seeing a close friend is perfectly normal. I feel that my friends before I engaged in social media, will always be around and we will always. However, the friends on "my friends list" on Facebook I am connected to, but not in the same degree. I feel that the connection is very different.

    I think the generation after us will have a different perspective. I know what life used to be like before "being connected." I had a pager/beeper, it was the first time I used a device that connected me. Looking back, this was a critical point-- it was the first time someone could "text" information to me without face-to-face or voice conversation. Little did I know this wouldn't be the last time I relied on a device to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete