Saturday, November 8, 2014

Multicultural Children

     Virginia Collier writes that "language is enchanting, powerful, magical, useful, personal, natural, all-important"(235) and this description instantly reminded me of the Spanish language Richard Rodriguez's family and he used before learning to speak the "public language" of English.  Rodriguez writes about the somewhat private and special Spanish language he spoke at home before teachers suggested that his parents speak to him exclusively in English. "But I had no place to escape with Spanish.  (The spell was broken.)  My brother and sisters were speaking English in another part of the house...But the special feeling of closeness at home was diminished by then.  Gone was the desperate, urgent, intense feeling of being at home; rare was the experience of feeling myself individualized by family intimates.  We remained a loving family, but one greatly changed.  No longer so close; no longer bound tight by the pleasing and troubling knowledge of our public separateness.  Neither my older brother nor sister rushed home from school anymore.  Nor did I.  When I arrived home there would often be neighborhood kids in the house.  Or the house would be empty of sounds"(36). Rodriguez's teachers (nuns) were trying to drill the English language into his mind by removing the Spanish language from his home; however, in doing so they took away the very essence of what made Rodriguez's house a home.  The nuns inadvertently took away the sense of family closeness that had been sewn together with the thread of a common family language.

See Richard Rodriguez speak to the issue of language and culture in this speech from 1999.  In the first 10 minutes, he addresses the same story he does in "Aria."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2wLvK9p9Q

     Ironically, Rodriguez ultimately gives credit to his teachers for forcing him to speak only English at home because at the time he thought that English was exclusively a "public language" and Spanish exclusively a "private language."  He didn't understand at the time that a language could be both.  "Because I wrongly imagined that English was intrinsically a public language and Spanish an intrinsically private one, I easily noted the difference between classroom language and the language of home"(34).  I understand that Rodriguez probably learned to be a better English speaker due to his experience, but I ask myself at what cost??  Rodriguez's family completely changed, his home life was never the same intimate experience it had been in the past, and his father became a introvert unless able to express himself in Spanish.  The "enchanting, powerful, magical, useful, personal, natural, all-important" Spanish language was taken away from Rodriguez's family and as a result, his family was never the same.
     After reading both pieces, I immediately thought about Sandra Cisneros' The House on Mango Street.  It is a series of vignettes which chronicle the protagonist Esperanza's journey to womanhood.  One thing I specifically remember from the novel was Esperanza's special time at home with her family.  Their family was built around a shared language and there was a certain intimacy in this inclusion.  The opening lines read, "In English my name means hope.  In Spanish it means too many letters.  It means sadness, it means waiting."  In this case, the Spanish meaning has some pain and heartache involved in it, but it has an essential meaning nevertheless.  It has a purpose.  Her family's closeness is further explained when Esperanza speaks about her mother.  "But my mother's hair, my mother's hair, like little rosettes, like little candy circles all curly and pretty because she pinned it in pincurls all day, sweet to put your nose into when she is holding you, holding you and you feel safe, is the warm smell of bread before you bake it, is the smell when she makes room for you on her side of the bed still warm with her skin, and you sleep near her, the rain outside falling and papa snoring." I think that Cisneros and Rodriguez would both agree that the Spanish language was an essential part of what bonded their families together.  They had something that no one else had and they could communicate in a way that was special to them.  This communicative power was taken away from Rodriguez when his family stopped speaking Spanish at home.  I think Collier takes this one step further.  She understands the need for a private family language.  She would also suggest that there is a necessity for this primary language to be spoken and taught at home and at school for students to be able to learn a second language well without sacrificing culture and family communication at home.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I love love love The House on Mango Street. I often use "My Name" with my students and encourage them to find out what their name means in different places, what it means to their families, and what it means to them. It always blows me away when they tell intimate family stories about what their name means or has meant in past generations. Although I think it was hard to ultimately give up their native Spanish at home, I can say that "never mind" (something Jenny brought to light in her blog) was a phrase frequently heard when my brother and I were younger and just didn't feel like explaining ourselves over and over again in English when we both knew that we would end up saying the same thing in Croatian, especially if it was something trivial. Although we didn't have to "give up" one language for the other, there are certain things that inevitably happen in a bilingual or multilingual household. More often than not, that happens to be one of them.

    Like you, I wonder if the "spell" or closeness that Richard felt with his family would have remained if they had been encouraged to use Spanish at home as well....but then I also wonder if he would have ended up learning English as quickly. Maybe his learning of English might have become enriched if he was also able to use Spanish the way Collier suggests in her piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that as Collier said that literacy in both the first and second language is only a benefit to the student. It is mentioned in the article that "most successful long-term academic achievement occurs where students' primary language is the initial language of literacy" but it also says "developing literacy in both languages simultaneously... second language before home language" (pg. 233) may be confusing but is still better than the third option which is no literacy development in the first spoken language. So overall I think my take is that in Richard's case, and the case of many multilingual children it is important to foster both languages and give students the tools to be literate and code switch between both languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    That was a really powerful speech that you provided in your link. Listening to Richard Rodriguez talk about the marginalized as the minority, had me completely wrapped up. How powerful his descriptions of "Who I Am" were.
    I have used Cisneros in my classroom, and no matter what purpose I begin with, we always come back to..respect me for who I am...and I love the way different students have responded to that idea over the years. Whenever we practice using the term "never mind," we practice the idea of turning off the flow of ideas, and true communication. Who can learn under those circumstances? We are much better served by discovering everything we can about the individual learner, and using whatever tools we can to help them understand the power of language. Any language.

    ReplyDelete