Sunday, November 2, 2014

When Silence Just Isn't Enough

In Chapter 5 of Safe Spaces-Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGTB Youth, Vaccaro, August and Kennedy argue that we as educators must be vigilant in making sure LGTB students have access to a school atmosphere that is safe both in the curriculum it presents and the communication it fosters. The authors argue that most educators do not fully acknowledge the LGTB community nor do they make a serious effort to discourage derogatory remarks and ideas in the classroom.  "Good intentions are not enough.  Being a fair-minded individual is not enough.  We argue that educators must publicly commit to creating classroom climates of inclusivity and respect with the pledged cooperation of all students"(99).  This statement really got me thinking about my own teaching practice in a way I never have before.  I consider myself to be someone who is completely comfortable with the LGTB community.  I have several gay family members with all sorts of family configurations, so one would assume that I'd feel completely comfortable talking about and choosing literature that covers and embraces these topics.  However, for some reason, homosexuality/transgender topics do not come up all that often in my classroom.  Now I'm asking myself if I am one of those educators who, "shrinks from challenging dominant social patterns and expectations, especially in relation to sexual orientation or gender identity"(86).  The authors, in answer to that dilemma, contend that we are so inundated with ingrained social messages pertaining to traditional sexual roles, that we sometimes (without even being consciously aware of it) ascribe to these notions; as a result, it comes out in our teaching.  "Powerful social messages are responsible (at least in part) for this noncritical allegiance to traditional perspectives"(86).  It's as though we aren't even aware of the fact that we are contributing to the problem.  Now, however, I'm cognizant of the fact that I'm doing it, and I maybe even understand why I'm doing it.  The most important thing I've realized, however, is that I need to figure out a way change.

I think one reason that it's difficult to introduce LGTB topics in the classroom is because of pressure from parents.  When talking about a Postcards From Buster animated series which featured a lesbian couple in one of its episodes, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings expressed opposition to the program by stating, "Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the life-styles portrayed in this episode"(86).  Similarly, in this New York Times article, many parents were up in arms when a California school tried to implement curriculum which included various depictions of same sex families beginning in elementary schools.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/education/04bcgay.html?pagewanted=all&module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3As%2C%7B%222%22%3A%22RI%3A14%22%7D&_r=0
In the article, Shih argues that parents in the Vallejo district feel as though they should have control over what their children are exposed to in the classroom.  However, I think in the word "exposure" lies the real root of the problem.  These families obviously think that there is something "wrong" with same-sex families; consequently, they don't feel as though their children should be "exposed" to a type of family that goes outside of what they deem "normal."  We, as educators, therefore, need to act as 'outcubators'(84).  "Teachers and peers usher children from the relative protection and insulation of family life into the classroom, where (perhaps for the first time) children encounter cultural and ethnic norms different from those of their family.  If our homes are incubators, keeping our children safe as they grow into the patterns of family life, schools are 'outcubators'-places that introduce new ways of thinking and behaving"(84). It is a school's responsibility to introduce students to many different types of people and to champion diversity as an essential component to a rich life.  I think that from now on in my own practice, I need to act as a vessel of "outcubation."  In other words, I need to introduce LGTB topics, ideas and families as part of my classroom practice.  I can't be afraid to do so because I need to ensure that students who are homosexual or transgender or come from nontraditional families feel included, validated, and most importantly represented in my classroom. It is my responsibility to do so and I think Vaccaro, August and Kennedy would agree.

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    It's difficult sometimes to match up your own belief system, with your practice. If someone asked me "are you in favor of equal rights for LGBT individuals?'" well of course...duh... but if you asked "how do you most commonly describe families?" I would have to honestly answer - "like mine." Good intentions are not enough, and we should not be afraid of difficult conversations, patterns of speech, and common phrases take a little more work, we need to be conscious of the messages we are sending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Vaccaro, August and Kennedy compare homes (incubators) to schools (outcubators)...and it makes me think of several different families. When I worked at an early learning center a few years ago, I met two beautiful children. Actually, they were probably the cutest, most gentle and loving children within the entire building (not related). Each of them came from a home with two moms. One of the children was the biological son of one of his moms, and the little girl had been adopted by her two moms. What was so amazing to me was the commitment to and respect for their families - from the teachers, other parents, and other children in their classes. Never once were they treated as "different" or "lesser"...never once did I hear any negative comments about their moms or their upbringings. Never once did a parent complain about either child being in the same classroom as their son or daughter. One of the most amazing things about that school and those teachers was that these two children always felt included in conversations and activities regarding families. Mother's Day meant that they had to make two cards, and for Father's Day, the little girl could choose someone special to make a card for, and it was ok if it ended up being mom or mommy again (the little boy's father was still very involved in his life). The teachers at that school made a very deliberate choice and effort to provide windows and mirrors within their classrooms for all students, and I think that both of these children and their classmates have learned more in their few years of life than some adults have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, the "silence is not enough" message is definitely one of my take-aways from this reading too. It's a point we've made through several of the readings and I can't help but connect to the idea that colorblindness or attempting to be "neutral" with curriculum are both political stances that often favor those who already have the most power.

    I also just heard a conversation on NPR as well about scientists and when is it their responsibility to be activists. Interesting to know that we aren't the only ones grappling with these questions. http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2014/10/16/356543981/when-is-it-ok-for-scientists-to-become-political

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you keyed into the work "exposed." To me when I think of "exposed," I think of being exposed to a cold, to an illness. It has a negative connotation. Families who say they don't want their child "exposed" or that parents have the right to choose what is "exposed" to their children, don't realize that their children are "exposed" to many different things every day. And we are not exposing, we are shedding light on what is already there.

    ReplyDelete